April 30, 2010

Wild at Heart (David Lynch, 1990)

Well, there goes quite a weird yet strangely engaging film. I don’t think I’ve seen any David Lynch films before but I quite like this one. It’s like in a similar vein to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The movie has really changed my views of Laura Dern (from Jurassic Park), who played the main character Lulu, as well as a youthful and playful Nicolas Cage (as Sailor), who really demonstrates his raw energy and passion in this film. The two play young lovers (whose relationship is disapproved of by the girl’s mother) and they are essentially chased around the US by her mother, a hitman hired by her, as well as the wicked witch of the west and several gangsters. Yes, it sounds crazy and was not the clear and straightforward at all. Although there wasn’t really much more in the plot, it was the various characters and personalities they encounter on their road trip. The wicked witch and the good witch that Nicolas Cage encounters at the end of the film establish this sort of Wizard of Oz metaphor throughout the film. Laura Dern’s character snaps her red heels together at one point when she is longing for Nicolas Cage’s character to return. Compared to her relatively passive role in Jurassic Park, in this film she is a rebellious 20-year-old girl, complete with criminal boyfriend, red lipstick, blonde curls and racy lingerie. I have to say the love scenes did really distance me from what otherwise was a film that I enjoyed for its originality and just plain weirdness.

And the final scene is just amazing. I’ve seen it before and was looking forward to it the whole movie but it’s when Nicolas Cage serenades Laura Dern, holding her in his arms and singing a rendition of Elvis Presley’s “Love Me Tender” which just gives me goosebumps:


I was thinking what would’ve compelled him to act in this film and I’m sure the opportunity to sing Elvis (as I know he is a huge fan), as well as sort of speak with that Elvis voice and dress in a snakeskin jacket − well, enough said. But it was definitely a film that changed my opinion, in fact, broadened my impression of both actors and I think is a film that everyone should see if they want to see some raw acting talent clearly having fun filming this movie.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment