August 29, 2011

Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

A sweet film, an absolute classic. This was my second time seeing it I think but it has continued to resonate in my mind since years ago when I first saw it. Such a unique story, weird, yet sad but happy too. At the end, I was happy with the film’s ending but it makes my own world seem so plain and almost tragic. It’s so extraordinary how I feel like I relate to Amélie but at the same time, I am not like her. Those innocent emotions − I know how that feels. And of course, Nino isn’t so bad − a good choice of actor I must say. It’s amazing how films like this can put a spin on the unusual/slightly odd and make them so endearing. And I like the subtle, touching humour too. The first time I saw it, the film made quite an impression on me. Funny how I couldn’t recall the storyline before I watched it again this time − I just remembered something about a phone booth and train station (which was kind of haunting).


That brings me back to the point of the film’s mood, which was pleasant overall I suppose but some scenes − the colour and lighting − were a bit unsettling and that was what made it slightly unreal in every meaning of the word. Amélie is an introverted girl who seeks to make people’s lives better, after accidentally finding a box of childhood memories and successfully returning it to its owner. She comes across Nino, who she develops a fondness for and then when she picks up his lost photo album, she returns it, although not after a well-thought out treasure hunt she devises for Nino, with clues and signs but never meeting face-to-face. In the end, he starts to suspect it’s her and of course, a happily ever after ensues, which I guess does bring some hope. It surprises me how motivational and inspirational one simple little film can be. As well as illustrating the diverse personalities and types of people in the world, this film brings together some clever thinking to show that all it takes is one caring individual to make a big difference in the world.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment