May 01, 2010

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton, 2010)

This review was originally written on March 4th, 2010 on my other blog, with some comments I’ve added since then:

"Curiouser and curiouser."

That's exactly how I'd describe Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Today it was released in Australian cinemas and of course, being in the vicinity of a cinema, I couldn't resist going in and watching Johnny Depp's latest work of brilliance. Seriously, that man can put in a quality performance, no matter what role he's playing. I knew this was going to end up as one of my favourite movies − my favourite actor and director teaming up again in a film based on one of my favourite stories − so that's already a recipe for success.

Nevertheless, I cast my critical eye over it as soon as I walked out of the theatre. Firstly, of course, the stand-out performance is Depp. Mia Wasikowska − well, I was glad to have a Polish-Aussie girl (like me) up there on the international big screen. It was such a great opportunity for her but you have to admit, casting Depp in the role of the Mad Hatter is going to steal the limelight − just a little bit. Wasikowska played the part of Alice well, but ultimately it's Depp's performance that will make a bigger impact. (Oh and I have to mention the dance he does at the end − completely mad/unexpected/entertaining!)

The casting for the film was quite good − with Burton's partner Helena Bonham Carter as the big-headed (literally!) Red Queen, Anne Hathaway as the extremely pale White Queen, Matt Lucas as the amusing Tweedledee/Tweedledum, Alan Rickman as the voice of the Blue Caterpillar and Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat. Plus, the wonderful danny Elfman as composer. I have to say, the music in Alice in Wonderland was very reminiscent of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I just had to get the soundtrack − that's how big of an impact it had on me. However, with Alice in Wonderland, well it just wasn't as good (but still pretty good! :D).

The environment was also really engrossing for me − I just love the worlds Tim Burton creates. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was amazing. Although not as colourful and vivid as maybe the book might have described, Underland (that is what it's actually called) has a dark, Gothic touch to it. I could just sit in a cinema for hours on end, simply watching images from Burton's imagined worlds.

So I guess that brings me to the actual plot. As a matter of fact, this is probably my biggest criticism (if I were to be really critical). Because the film is not actually a remake of the novel 'Alice in Wonderland' (but more of a combination of that novel and Lewis Carroll's lesser known sequel 'Through the Looking-Glass'). I felt it didn't have that same magical effect as perhaps a remake of the first novel might have. Watching this film made me really nostalgic and I have the sudden urge to re-read the novel and watch all earlier versions of the film. However, the fact that it's Alice's second visit and this time she has to slay a Jabberwock (the Red Queen's dragon), just made it stray less from children's story to more of an experimentation/action film.

Anyway, even though I suppose this review has pretty much highlighted more problems than positives of Alice in Wonderland, you can be sure that it is worth watching − even just to see it from Burton's perspective.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment