October 04, 2012

Pride and Prejudice (Joe Wright, 2005)

Unlike many of the females in my demographic, I have never really been drawn to Jane Austen’s novels, so not surprisingly, I wasn’t expecting to love this film, however, I did enjoy it. It is a light movie that is perfect to escape and engross yourself in, and you just can’t help but get caught up in the story.

In terms of characters, I found the mother and some of the younger daughters quite frustrating with their awkward and shameless desperation and promotion. Keira Knightley (as Elizabeth) seemed quite bland in this role but I think it somehow suited her. She is better matched to feature in romantic dramas over movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean. Just like the majority of the target demographic to whom this movie is tailored, my favourite character was Mr Darcy. A dreamy, mysterious individual, Mr Darcy initially finds Elizabeth “barely tolerable” and I found the fact that she becomes the love of his life difficult to accept. However, I guess that is part of the attraction of this film – the hope and romance it instils for audiences. Just like Elizabeth, I warmed up to the character of Mr Darcy, who was very well played by Matthew Macfadyen.

Surprisingly, the camerawork in this film also drew my attention. There were some interesting choices of shots, such as quite a few instances when Elizabeth is spinning around and the camera spins the other way. Also, the shot of Elizabeth and Mr Darcy embracing during sunset was nicely framed. On that note, I should also mention the use of the beautiful landscape. The mountains, the mist, sunsets and even the houses were all well utilised to add to the emotion of the film.

I didn’t like the point at which the film ended – we see Mr Bennet giving his daughter Elizabeth consent to marry Mr Darcy but I would have liked to see the wedding or the “happy ever after”, or even Mr Darcy’s reaction after Elizabeth tells him of her father’s consent. (As a sidenote, I’ve read that the US version of the film did include a final scene of the couple embracing outside their estate.)

The film depicts beliefs and attitudes that appear outdated in modern society and for viewers like me, might feel slightly grating at times (particularly with the mother’s behaviour). Even seemingly more independent women, such as Elizabeth, end up succumbing to these “prince charming” ideals, which ultimately plays to the dreams of romantics watching the film. Nevertheless, in terms of an easy-going, simple narrative, this film fulfils its aims and is an entertaining escape that leaves you with a nice, warm feeling.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment