April 17, 2011

The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)

When I first heard they were making a film about Facebook, I thought it was a joke. Once the film was released, I still wasn’t very interested in it but I ended up watching it purely because I’m a cinephile and I like to be open to a range of films and not only watching ones I like.

I think what gives The Social Network its appeal is the life of Mark Zuckerberg − his very unusual life as a college student/billionaire. While most students would just be focused on studying and other everyday aspects of college life, Zuckerberg had his mind and efforts focused on a business venture − not without its personal, financial and legal complications. The film is cleverly structured to try and hold the audience’s interest while ultimately just retelling a few years of the life of this individual. This is done by cutting between the two lawsuits he is involved in, and the chronological development of Facebook.

It is the interesting life of Zuckerberg or the overall plot that was the best quality of the film for me as I wasn’t able to connect with the characters, especially Zuckerberg, who I found a little repelling and insensitive. If I had to choose a favourite character or one that I empathised with most it would be co-founder Eduardo Saverin. I don’t know if it’s some sort of 'nerd' stereotype of if the film depicts a real reflection of Zuckerberg’s personality (although Mark Zuckerberg himself has said it isn’t). Ironically, you get the impression that despite creating this groundbreaking website that connects millions of people around the world, Zuckerberg is actually quite a lonely, isolated person. Then again, I wouldn’t take everything in this film as face value because it is not all factually accurate.

I found Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake) a particularly annoying character, sort of like the sneaky stranger you see in films, who ends up breaking a solid friendship. I found it ironic that Justin Timberlake portrays someone from Napster, given that no doubt people would have used Napster to illegally download Timberlake’s music. But also, the film gives the impression that Parker is a founder of Napster, when he actually isn’t − nor is he a founder of Facebook. (Also, on a sidenote, I found it amusing to see Brenda Song star in a film that is so different from those light-hearted, comedic children's Disney TV shows she is a part of − I can't help but associate her with those films!)

While I see the appeal of The Social Network, I personally didn’t really find it that remarkable or worthy of any Academy Awards − although maybe for the script, which was based on a book (as I said, it is a skilful way to construct what is essentially a retelling of a few years of someone’s life). The music, on the other hand, was so eerie and dark, it would’ve suited a horror and at times the music seemed to drown out the dialogue (and I don’t just mean in the club scenes). It was an interesting choice to have Nine Inch Nail musicians scoring the film − that would explain the darker edge to it. But I almost found it really grating and almost insulting to have one of my favourite Beatles songs, “Baby, You’re a Rich Man”, playing during the end credits of this film − and at the same time, it was sort of undoing or mocking the seriousness and drama exuded throughout the rest of the film. Anyway, yes, Facebook is a significant idea and development that has dramatically changed the way many people (including me) connect around the world but this film was just nowhere near as noteworthy to me.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment