February 11, 2011

Unstoppable (Tony Scott, 2010)

I hadn’t actually heard of this film until someone I know told me they had gone to watch it. That surprised me because I would categorise this film in the same vein as other action films about runaway vehicles, like Speed (although that had a different premise), so I think it could find a similar audience too.

But the thing that I think would interest the audience most − and is what drew me in − is the fact it is based on a true story. It’s about two men who try to stop an unmanned freight train that is travelling out of control towards a city and carrying hazardous materials. It’s a simple-enough plot and it’s no surprise that the train will be stopped at the end of the film. Nevertheless, this is an engaging, thrilling film that I would probably describe as a “quintessential Hollywood” film − basic plot and characters combined with maximum cinematic effects, which works to get the audience on the edge of their seats.

One of the ways this film sought to increase the drama and suspense was through Scott’s interesting camerawork. I say “interesting” but it’s probably a little too distracting for me. There were frequent quick zoom ins and some moments felt like you were watching a handheld camera − it was like a mix of raw documentary, first-hand feel with epic Hollywood cinematography.

Anyway, the formula works for Unstoppable − it was what I was expecting from it, as a satisfying action flick. There were moments when I was questioning some of the decisions made by the characters, such as how another train would be able to slow down the runaway one by travelling in front of it, and why they abandoned the idea to drive alongside the train and have someone jump into the front carriage (which they almost did earlier in the film). So there are some plot holes, but then again, I’m not an expert in the field and some incidents from the true story were exaggerated (such as Denzel Washington’s character running across the top of the train carriages). But I think if you can suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride (no pun intended!), then you’ll also find some suspense and thrill.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment