January 27, 2011

Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010)

I can’t remember the last time I felt this way during a movie − a combination of admiration and revulsion. This film is so complex and amazing but at the same made me feel so uneasy and on edge the whole time.

Natalie Portman plays Nina, a ballet dancer who gets the lead role in a production of Swan Lake. That may be the main gist of the plot in the film but there is so much more going on, psychologically. Nina’s role involves playing a white swan and the more evil, black swan and it is these two dynamic opposites that seemed to be referenced throughout the film. The white and black swans come to represent parts of Natalie’s personality as she grows into the roles she is playing and becomes more in touch with her darker side.

At first I was reminded of the film Centre Stage, which also looks at the life of teenage ballet dancers. However, very quickly I realised that Black Swan was a huge step in another direction. This film portrays ballet in its raw and painful state, rather than the typical glamourised final version we see on stage. The actual ballet routines actually made up a small part of the film − instead we see more of the behind-the-scenes preparation and the pain that comes with being a ballerina, that honestly make me glad that I didn’t choose that path. Despite this crude depiction of ballet, it was a beautiful film and so artistic, just like the dance itself. So I guess in this way, it could be seen as a more real and honest depiction of the art of ballet.

The film was an incredible mix of drama, horror and a bit of romance, as well as some sexual energy, especially between Lily (Mila Kunis) and Nina. Despite having seen plenty of films with violent scenes of people being shot or killed, I found this film was more chilling and graphic, and was actually more disturbing. For instance, Nina ripping the skin off her fingers, or the rash on her back from scratching, her bloody toes, as well as the scene when Winona Ryder’s character stabs her face with a nail file. They were just horrific and poignant moments and I especially like the ending.

The most intriguing thing about this film is you never really know what’s real and what’s part of Nina’s visions. One thing I know for sure is that Black Swan has demonstrated that there are still amazing, original films being made that can enthral audiences and critics alike. I don't know if I'll be watching this film anytime soon because of the effect it has on me but Portman’s performance in this film was fantastic, not surprisingly. I admire her dedication to the role, having trained ballet months before to prepare. She has always been a favourite actress of mine and no doubt it is time for her to take home an Academy Award for her talent.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment