August 24, 2010

Dying Breed (Jody Dwyer, 2008)

I haven’t seen many Australian horror films, so this was going to be an interesting experience. I happened to change the channel and this film was about to show and the main reason I was drawn to it was that it involves the Tasmanian Tiger (an animal which is said to be extinct but nevertheless intrigues me). The film is about a zoology student, who along with three others, goes to Tasmania on a search for the Tasmanian Tiger. However, instead they come across cannibal descendants of Alexander “The Pieman” Pierce.

The film wasn’t terrifying but there was enough suspense and curiousity to sustain me through ‘till the end. The end was probably the best part of the film. Unusually, none of the four main characters survive (well, we hear the screams of the last two survivors being tortured and seeing as their captors are cannibals, the survivors are likely to become a nice meal for them).

The film had the eerie yet beautiful Tasmanian forest which provided the stereotypical isolated and dark setting of this horror film. It was a good attempt at what is a mysterious film genre − Australian horror, although I probably won’t be watching it again (unless I’m pointing out the gruesome props used in the film to someone else).

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment