May 10, 2010

The Little Match Girl (La Petite Merchance D’allumettes) (Jean Epstein, 1928)

A slightly haunting film (although the Christensen fable it’s based on isn’t exactly happy) yet interestingly shot. The film took a while to get my attention and then near the end lost it again. I particularly liked the film when the little match girl is hallucinating about being in the toy store:



Some of the characters and effects used were appealing. For instance, the dolls and the toy soldiers were cleverly done. As were the effects of the horses galloping and the little match girl (whose name I believe is Karen)’s hallucinations of Christmas trees. Since I didn’t really remember much about the famous tale, I wasn’t sure what to expect. However, it was a sweet yet tragic little piece that was skilfully adapted into a half-hour film.


3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment