April 21, 2010

Avatar (James Cameron, 2010)

I have to say, despite the crowds relishing this 3D film and despite it becoming the highest-grossing film ever, I was slightly disappointed by this blockbuster. For one, I don’t know if everyone had the same reaction or just me (seeing as though I’ve been studying so many non-Hollywood films) but the plot was just so incredibly predictable! I mean, even more predictable than usual − it’s like I couldn’t relax and just be engaged by the film as I was just ticking the plot events off as they happened.

In addition, I found the 3D was poor compared to every other 3D film I’ve seen. For instance, in the 3D films at amusement parks, etc, the point of the 3D film is to make audiences jump and the film to seem realistic, as if it’s happening in front of your eyes. I don’t know if maybe it was just my seating in the cinema, but for Avatar, all that was 3D was a few plants and even then it looked like two layers of cardboard cut-out, with a background than a foreground. And that is the extent of the 3D. Really, the film could’ve taken advantage of this aspect even more. Also, I wasn’t expecting it to be quite an environmental film, but I guess that’s good as it demonstrated the importance of looking after primitive rainforests and species. Anyway, I still probably gave the film a high rating. It was ok but I probably wouldn’t watch it again. I already knew what was going to happen before I watched it the first time, so I can’t imagine how even more predictable and unengaging it would be the second time around.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment